My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

filet mignon

filet mignon and roasted potatoes

Despite all the trial and error with slightly more elaborate dishes that I typically prepare, I think deep down I'm just a meat and potatoes kind of person. Or at least that's what I believe when I'm eating this filet mignon. This isn't really a recipe, more of a technique, but it is so much better than simply grilling this particular cut of meat that it's worthy of discussion. It really reminds me of the Ruth's Chris style steak (although they claim to cook theirs in an 1800 degree oven, the likes of which I will never have access to). I like to serve it with roasted potatoes with truffle oil, and a simple caesar salad.

Grocery list: filet mignon steak, olive oil, salt and pepper. For the potatoes -- baby potatoes (I used purple, but any type will do), truffle oil.

filet mignon prep

To prep the steak, let it sit out of the fridge for about 15-20 minutes, so it comes to room temperature. Coat the steak with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Heat a heavy grill pan over medium-high flame. Sear the steak for about 1-2 minutes, then flip, cook for 1 more minute, then place in the oven. Cook for 4 minutes, flip, and cook for 3-4 more minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak and how well you prefer it cooked. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

potatoes prep

I typically make the potatoes first, while the steak is sitting out on the counter warming up. Wash them, slice in half, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper, then pour the potatoes onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven, flip the potatoes, and cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and turn the oven up to 450 for the steaks.

meat and potatoes