My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

spaghetti with collards and bacon

bacon collards pasta

I hate to start a post with an apology, especially when one is so deserved, but I'm sorry. If only you knew the exciting project I've been working on for you though, to make AHB much easier to use, with much better pictures - well, you will know soon enough I hope. And then you can decide whether or not to forgive me for my absence. For now, I'll tell you about this very simple and healthy pasta dish I found on Epicurious. It was one of those nights, where I had some things in the fridge that I needed to cook soon or risk wasting, but none of them "went together" - or so I thought. I love bacon with greens, but it turns out you can toss them with pasta and olive oil and actually make a meal out of it. I should try this more often.

Grocery list: 1 pound collards (stems removed, leaves washed and chopped), 4-6 slices bacon, 4 garlic cloves, 1 onion, dried red pepper flakes, olive oil, 3/4 pound pasta (original calls for fusilli, but I was limited to spaghetti), 1 T red wine vinegar, grated parmesan.

cooking collards for pasta

In a large stockpot, cook the collards in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and place in a colander to drain. Bring the water back to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

onions garlic bacon

Chop the bacon, mince the garlic, and chop or slice the onion.

frying bacon for collards

Fry the bacon pieces over medium high heat in a large skillet until starting to crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate, but reserve the bacon fat in the pan. (Depending on how much is left, you might want to pour a little out. You only need enough to cook the onions down - about 1-2 tablespoons.)

sauteed onions red pepper flakes

Add the onion, garlic, and a generous pinch of red pepper flakes, and continue to saute until the onions are translucent, another 4-5 minutes.

adding cooked collards to onions

Add the cooked and drained collards to the skillet with the onions and garlic. Stir well to combine.

assembling bacon collards pasta

Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the skillet. Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat the pasta (2-4 tablespoons). Remove from heat, and stir the bacon pieces back in. Serve with grated parmesan and cracked black pepper.

1 comment:

Thao said...

Mmmm, the Southerner in me LOVES this dish!