My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 13, 2009

not as boring as it looks: black bean burgers

black bean burger

I absolutely love these burgers (taken right out of Februrary 2009 Gourmet magazine). Before you turn away in disgust (yes, I am still the same author of AHB who prefers red meat to almost any other food), hear me out.
  • These are healthy.
  • They take 10 minutes to make 4 of them.
  • You can freeze them. You can reheat one for lunch in 5 minutes.
  • They are cheap.
And I'm not saying I'd ever replace a real burger with these, but I've started eating them all the time for lunch and they are wonderful. Maybe I should call them "black bean sandwich filling" or "black bean patties"? Whatever you call them, just make some up pronto, okay?

Grocery list: 2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained), 3-4 T mayo, 1/3 c bread crumbs, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/4 cup minced cilantro.

ingredients for black bean burgers

Rinse the black beans and divide them - half in a bowl, half into a food processor. Finely chop the cilantro and add to the bowl with the whole black beans.

beans bread crumbs mayo spices

Add the breadcrumbs, mayo (the original called for 3T of mayo but I found I needed a little more), and the spices to the food processor.

black bean paste

Process until you have a paste - if you have to add more mayo to get the consistency right, now's the time.

black bean paste cilantro beans

Add the black bean paste to the bowl with the cilantro and whole beans, and stir to combine. As you can see from the picture, it was still a little difficult to stir so I added more mayo. Mayo makes everything better right?

cooking black bean burgers 2

Form into 4 patties. If you want to freeze some, wrap them up now and stick them in the freezer. To cook them when they are fresh, saute in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.

cooking black bean burgers

If frozen, thaw them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds (not all the way thawed, just a little to kick start them), then fry for 5 minutes per side. They'll heat all the way through just fine.

black bean burger 2

Serve them on a toasted bun with cheddar cheese and salsa, or cut them in half and wrap in a tortilla with sour cream, salsa and avocado. (Do you notice how pretty that bun is by the way? I made that! With my new stand mixer I'm baking all our breads now, and these hamburger buns are the best thing I've done so far.)

No comments: