My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

peach & blackberry cobbler

peach blackberry cobbler a la mode

This isn't my Gramma's recipe, but I still think she'd approve of this well-researched version from The New Best Recipe cookbook. The biscuit topping is made with yogurt, which I've never tried before. This gives it a chewy texture, less crumbly and, well, biscuit-y, than I'm used to. I love mixing in a handful of blackberries to keep the peaches from being too sweet.

Grocery list: (filling) 2.5 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 T fresh lemon juice. If you're going to use blackberries, you don't need quite as many peaches - I used 5-6 peaches and a quart of berries. (biscuit topping) 1 cup AP flour, 3 T + 1 tsp sugar, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 5 T cold unsalted butter (cubed), 1/3 c plain whole milk yogurt.

peach blackberry sugar resting

Start by prepping the peaches and berries and transferring to a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and let stand 30 minutes, stirring several times.

peach blackberry syrup

Drain the peaches and berries in a colander over a bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup of drained juice w/cornstarch, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Toss the peaches and berries with the juice mixture and pour into 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake about 10 minutes at 425 degrees (till peaches bubble at the edges).

starting biscuit topping for cobbler

While the filling is baking, make the topping by first pulsing the flour, 3 T of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor. Add butter cubes and pulse until it has the consistency of coarse meal.

yogurt biscuit topping for cobbler

Pour into a bowl and stir in yogurt with a spatula just until it holds together (careful not to overmix). Even though the recipe called for plain whole milk yogurt, I had some vanilla I needed to get rid of and didn't have any problems.

peach blackberry cobbler before baking

Pull the peaches out of the oven, break the dough into 6 equal sized mounds, and place evenly apart over the filling so they aren't touching each other. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp sugar, then bake at 425 degrees until topping is brown, 16-18 minutes.

peach blackberry cobbler

Cool the cobbler on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, until it's just warm.

2 comments:

Independent Mama said...

I've decided what I'm asking for for Santa Claus: a food processor! =)

KT said...

Hi there - I couldn't agree more! I use my food processor ALL the time, and there are still things I *should* be using it for (like grating cheese in bulk) that I haven't gotten around to teaching myself :) I found a good deal on this one (a cuisinart pro, 14-cup) on amazon - much cheaper than william-sonoma or kitchen shops actually. good luck!

p.s. a kitchenaid stand mixer is my christmas wish list - even if i have to get it for myself :)