My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 6, 2008

back to basics: mashed potatoes

meat loaf garlic mashed potatoes pancetta brussel sprouts

If you're a regular reader of AHB, you already know that underneath it all, I'm just a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Okay, really great filet and pommes frites sometimes, but still, nothing makes me happier than red meat and some kind of potato. It occurred to me the other day, as I was making meat loaf for dinner (better than my usual too, leftover stale bread is MUCH better than canned breadcrumbs), that I've never blogged about mashed potatoes. I guess I assumed that everyone has their own recipe already, and there are so many opinions about them too - skins on or off, smooth or chunky, herbs or plain butter, etc. But just in case you (a) don't have a recipe you like AND (b) you prefer red skins-on potatoes with texture, then here you go.

Grocery list: small red potatoes (at least a couple pounds for 4 people), salt, cream or whole milk, sour cream, chives, butter. More butter.

garlic mashed potatoes chives

Scrub the potatoes, and cut any big ones in half so they are all about the same size. Put in a big pot, cover with cold water, dump a handful of salt in, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for about 12-15 minutes. You'll know they're done when you break one apart with a fork and the center is all a uniform color (if they are darker in the middle they still need more time). Drain and return to pot. Stir in at least half a stick of butter, more salt, some cream, a big dollop of sour cream, and mash with a potato masher. Cut fresh chives over the top.

I'll blog the brussel sprouts shortly - they deserve their own post.

No comments: