My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ahungrybear.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 12, 2008

chef sev cracks the benihana code: yum yum sauce

hibachi grill with yum yum sauce

I have always loved a good "Japanese steakhouse" -- in college my friend Morgan and I would save up for special occasions to go over to the hibachi grill for the early bird special (2 for $19.95!). While I love the highly trained grill masters who can create little bunny rabbits out of shrimp tails and flaming volcanoes out of stacked vidalia onions, my favorite thing has always been the mysterious "yum yum sauce"-- the white sauce that they provide on the side for dipping your shrimp and vegetables into (or for smothering your entire plate indiscriminately). I have tried and failed to figure out the secret to this sauce for years, but there isn't a Benihana in the world that will give up the ingredient list. That is, until A's dad, AKA "Chef Sev", decided to crack the code. He has succeeded - don't ask, because he won't reveal his sources - and the result was the absolute perfect replica of benihana's world-famous yum yum sauce. We grilled up shrimp, chicken, steak and tons of mixed vegetables last night, and drowned it all in this amazing sauce. Grab this recipe while you can, before the Benihana trademark police force me to take it down...

Grocery list: 1 cup hellmann's mayo (regular, not light), 1/2 teaspoon each: sugar, paprika, ketchup, ground ginger, hot sauce, dry mustard powder, white pepper; 1/2 Tablespoon garlic juice (found in the asian food section of any grocery store, OR you can substitute garlic powder if you can't find the juice), 1/8 tsp salt, 2 T melted butter, 3 tsp rice vinegar, 1/4 cup water.

yum yum ingredients

This picture looks pretty disgusting, but these are all the ingredients.

yum yum sauce

Whisk together and refrigerate for at least several hours or overnight, to allow the flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving. Thanks Chef Sev!

1 comment:

Robert said...

Great post. My Fiancee loves the sauce we get at the steakhouses and I have tried myself to replicate it. In fact I was just about to post on my blog my version, but it looks like I may have to revise a little. Great site BTW. Love the real passion for food and cooking.

Great job,
Robert